A Desert Oasis 🌵
Once you head about 100 miles east out of Los Angeles and see the outlet malls and casinos dim in the rearview mirror, you will be close to a desert oasis unlike any other. That last stretch of California Highway 111 hasn’t changed much in the 50 years since Hollywood occupied Palm Springs, since Frank Sinatra and his “Rat Pack” turned this area into their personal playground. Sure, there are now shopping plazas, mega-sized casinos and many tourist traps, but envisioning the Palm Springs of the Sinatra era only takes a little imagination. With it’s architecture to the classic cars, this city definitely has an old-school vibe. Some would call it “mid-century chic”.
Fun Facts about Palm Springs 🌞
- Palm Springs has the largest concentration of mid-century modern residential architecture in the world! There is actually a term for that – Desert Modernism.
- The Aerial Tramway is an eight-minute ride up from the desert floor to the mountain station and is one of the steepest ascents in the world!
- Some “Old Hollywood” movie studios had a 2-hour rule that applied to actors stating they must remain within two hours of the studio. So, glamor and glitz made this get-away do-able and put Palm Springs on the map!
- Many stars made their homes in Palm Springs including Bob Hope, Dinah Shore, Bing Crosby, Kirk Douglas and many others. Elvis actually honeymooned here.
- There are more pools per capita than anywhere else in the country.
Palm Springs is a perfect vacation to unwind, soak up the sun, play some golf, have a cocktail by the pool, or go hiking. There is something for everyone! Next time I go, I am going to bring some Penless Stickers and upload my videos. Penless has the perfect VideoDrops to remember my time in this desert paradise!