For all the last minute packers like myself, it is never easy to remember every item you have to bring or to add to your wishlist. And besides, every trip calls for a new packing list. For example, if its a Hawaii vacation, you have to remember to pack swimsuits and a lot of sunscreen. If its a ski lodge get away, you need jackets, long sleeve tops, and mittens.
Luckily I have some packing tips that I would love to share! First of all, if you are an overpacker, here are some suggestions:
- Pack neutral colors- this is because it will make your outfits more interchangeable. Packing neutral colors will make it easy to match with multiple things!
- Check to make sure you will be able to do laundry. If your place comes with a washer and dryer, then pick days in advance to wear an outfit twice.
- Be aware of the weather. Look up the weather in advance to avoid packing clothes for “just incase.” It is a waste of room in your suitcase to pack stuff that you do not need.
- Lastly, don’t pack too many electronics. Chances are, you may need your phone and maybe your laptop but for the most part you will probably be out and about doing activities.
If you are looking for organizational tips here are a few:
- Use an empty pill container to store jewelry such as earrings, necklaces, rings, and other small jewelry items that may get lost.
- Put chargers and cords in a glasses case
- Roll your clothes up instead of folding them
- You can even store your socks, inside your shoes to save space!
Whenever you are planning a trip, it’s important to make a specific packing list in advance so you can add items to it throughout the week. Personally, whenever I make a list, I can never think of all the items I need at once, but over a few days, I begin to think of all the other items I need to add.
You should always remember:
- A good pair of walking shoes
- A jacket (if it’s hot outside, the indoors may be air conditioned)
- Make-up (optional)
- Small bills (tips)
Some essentials when traveling somewhere hot:
- Tank tops
- Flip flops
Some essentials when traveling somewhere cold:
- Jeans/ leggings
- Long sleeves
- Sweaters and jackets
- Warm hats
One last reminder: For all vacations, it would be great to have some Penless stickers or postcards to take with you! It’s a great way to add a personal touch to a souvenir or share a special moment with anyone back home!