Experiencing The Hills 🌲
Whether you are looking for beautiful scenery, epic hikes, amazing wildlife, or history alive in stone, the Black Hills of South Dakota will not disappoint. It may seem like an underrated vacation destination but it will be one to tuck into your memory book. The history of this area ranges from prehistoric times to the cold war to the Wild West and the Native Americans. Here are a few must see attractions when visiting the Black Hills.
- Mount Rushmore. This is definitely a sight to see. The majestic figures surrounded by the beauty of the Hills brings visitors face to face with four presidents representing their invaluable contributions to the United States. It is a symbol of freedom and democracy.
- Crazy Horse Memorial. If you think carving presidents into the side of a granite mountain is impressive, then a stop at Crazy Horse is a must. The World’s largest monument is decades in the making. It sits in a region of the Black Hills once considered sacred by the native American Lakota tribe. The Lakota’s were since displaced by settlers, loggers, and gold miners. Once completed, this sculpture will be 563 feet high and 641 feet long. It is 71 years in the making and not nearly complete.
- Custer State Park. This Park is one of the truly wild places in this county. Over 1,300 bison roam freely in this 71,000-acre park. You may also see antelope, elk, and mountain goats as well. A safari jeep tour is the perfect way to get up close and personal with these unbelievable animals.
- Gold Mines. After all, the promise of striking it rich in the early 1870s is what attracted thousands of settlers to this area. There are different gold mines you can tour to experience the gold boom days of the Black Hills.
- Deadwood. You can’t talk about gold mines without mentioning the town of Deadwood. Afterall, this town was born due to a creek full of gold discovered by the settlers. Visiting Deadwood, you will walk in the footsteps of gunslinger Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane. Step into Deadwood’s colorful past by visiting Saloon No. 10. which is packed full of historic memorabilia.
Your Memories on a VideoDrop 🌝
You can relive all of your memories of the Black Hills again and again with VideoDrops which are so easy to upload into your photobook or scrapbook. Choose from hundreds of designs available on the Penless website.
A visit to the Black Hills may only last a short time, but the memories will last a lifetime!