One of the best things about fall is cooking with fresh pumpkin. Not only is it delicious, but with it’s vibrant orange color, it is packed with health benefits. Even the seeds are good for you. With all the good stuff in pumpkins, why not try out a few new recipes this year. Here are a few ideas:
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-pumpkin-puree/
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie – In a blender, combine ½ cup ice, ½ cup vanilla nonfat yogurt, 1 tsp. honey, ¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice and ¼ cup pumpkin puree. If you like the taste of pumpkin pie, you will love this smoothie.
- Pumpkin Dip. This is delicious on a whole-grain bagel for breakfast or with carrot sticks for a healthy afternoon snack. http://www.food.com/topic/pumpkin-dip/quick-and-easy
- Pumpkin Bruschetta Appetizers – Rub toasted bread rounds with a whole garlic clove to season; top with 2 tsp. pumpkin puree and ½ tsp bleu cheese; broil for about 1 minute to melt the cheese. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds and coarse sea salt.
- Pumpkin tomato basil meatballs – the perfect fall flavor to add to any pasta dish. http://www.wholesomelicious.com/pumpkin-tomato-basil-meatballs/
- Pumpkin Soup – whip up this easy soup as a starter for a dinner party or a light supper when you need a bit of comfort. You can even use a small, scraped out pumpkin as a bowl. Your guests will think that is adorable!
If you would like to serve your favorite pumpkin dessert recipes at your next holiday gathering, here are a few suggestions:
- Pumpkin Cookie Dough. http://thebigmansworld.com/2015/09/20/healthy-pumpkin-cookie-dough-for-one/ This cookie dough is not only delicious but healthy. It is egg-free, gluten-free and is super quick to whip up!
- Pumpkin Pull-Apart Loaf. This is a perfect side for breakfast or brunch. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pumpkin-pull-apart-loaf/
- Pumpkin Dream Bars. This is a creamy, dreamy treat that everyone will love. http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a50190/pumpkin-dream-bars-recipe/
You can now use Penless Recipe Cards to jot down all your favorite recipes or remember to use the Idea Board of the Penless app to keep all your recipes organized. You can collect photos of your favorite recipes and snap a picture of the ingredients and directions and be all set. You can refer to the idea board time and again.
So, after your pumpkin is carved, you can still put the rest of the pumpkin to good use. From appetizers, to main dishes, to desserts….the possibilities are endless.
photos: pixabay, needpix.com